Only 20 km away from Ulcinj in the direction of Skadar, is the former town of Svač. This attractive locality above the lake itself is located in the center of the Ana Malit area, and for the locals of this area it represents their main cultural heritage, a reference point that best describes the local identity. The whole area is characterized by rich flora and fauna and beautiful rural landscapes. Every village in this area is rich in old stone houses, mills and cobbled roads that were used by the population until today.
According to historical documents, the town of Svač has been mentioned since the 8th century. However, according to the data obtained during the archeological research done here in the 80's, it has been determined that life here has been going on since the Neolithic, Eneolithic, Bronze, Iron, Ancient, Late Antique, Middle Ages until the modern age. According to archaeological research, in prehistory there was a fortification on the top of the hill - an Illyrian fortification with large stone blocks. Having in mind the good position, the city took the identity of a coastal medieval town similar to those in Dalmatia and beyond. The area of Anamal provided good conditions for agriculture, while Šasko Lake supplied it with fish. The Bojana River, which is navigable all the way to the vicinity of Skadar, was the main artery for communications and trade in all historical periods, from the Illyrians until 1948, when it became a border zone. Now only small fishing boats and sports recreational canoes can sail on this river.
According to the legend described by Justinian from Genoa in 1533, which is still told among the local population, it is stated that there were as many churches in Svač as there are days in a year, so 365. He wanted to point out the great value of this city from past, given that today in the ruins are the remains of 15 churches.
During the second half of the 14th and the beginning of the 15th century, the town was ruled by the famous local feudal family Balšić, after which the town passed into the hands of the Venetian Republic, but now it lost its splendor and power it had in previous centuries and gradually transformed into a village. This trend continued during the Ottoman conquests and the economic crisis of that century. During the Ottoman Empire during the visit of the priest Bici in 1610, this small settlement had only 80 houses, while a century and a half later, during Bolica, it had only 50 houses.
In 1777, Svač was just a small parish that included the surrounding villages, and life continued outside the city walls.
During modern times, the site was visited by various travel writers and researchers and thus became known beyond the borders of today's Montenegro.