At the most protruding place of the city, the acropolis, high defensive walls are visible. The entrance to the fortress dates from the VI century and next to it is the Cathedral Church of St. John the Baptist (Shën Gjon Pagëzuesit). It was built in 1300 in the Romanesque style, and it is interesting that it leans against the defensive wall on the north side. A bell tower was erected above the apse. During the last archeological research, it was discovered that the cathedral was built on the foundations of an even older church. The presence of numerous graves has been established inside the cathedral. It seems that, in the period after the 19th century, when the church was no longer in function, burials began within its surface because it was considered a holy place.